Sergiyev Posad, famous with its Holy Trinity Lavra of St. Sergius, considered to be Russian Orthodox capital, and is called Russian Vatican. The monastery was built on Makovets hill in the XIV-th century. Its founder was St. Sergiy Radonezhsky, the councilor of Russian monarchs - in his honor the city was called. In 1380 Father Superior Sergiy blessed Moscow knyaz Dmitry Donskoy for Kulikovskaya battle. For centuries the monastery was one of the major religious and cultural centers of the Russian state. Icon painters Andrei Rublyov and Daniil Cherny worked here, they made the paintings of the Holy Trinity Cathedral, where the remains of St. Sergiy are buried. The Orthodox community goes on pilgrimage to visit his tomb. There are Ecclesiastical Academy and Seminary on the territory of the Holy Trinity Lavra of St. Sergius. In the vestiary of the monastery the precious donations of monarchs are kept. The historical and architectural ensemble of Lavra consisting of monastery, churches, bell towers, palaces and halls of the XV-XIX-th centuries, as well as of the monastery necropolis, has survived to the present days.